14 March 2012

Guest Post: Sarah's SWSW Style Advice

I'm doing something a little different today, y'all. Sarah, a fellow Austinite blogger contacted me last week asking if she could do a guest post here on my blog about SXSW style. I'd never read her blog before, but after visiting Mason Jar Living, I'm hooked. This gal has a serious eye for style and I'm hoping to meet her soon to pick her brain. I'm invited to the maurices SXSW artist event tomorrow and I was really stressing about what to wear. I'm definitely taking some of Sarah's advice! Here's what she has to say about dressing for this awesome event:

SXSW has arrived in my hometown of Austin, Tx and every fahionable twenty-something is flocking to the city in droves. As someone who grew up in the ATX, it's always fun to meet all the different kinds of people from across the world that come to the festival. It's also fun to pick out out-of-towners from a crowd just by the way they dress. Unlike most other metropolitan cities, you can literally get in anywhere wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and flip-flops are a year-round thing. The key to Austin style is finding the perfect balance of chic and effortless. You have to obviously not care, but look good doing it. So, in honor of South By Southwest and all y'all out of towners, here are my top four favorite spring trends, all with a little Austin flare.

Sheer Audacity

There might be no greater trend than the rise of the see-through blouse/ maxi skirt. Sure, I'm not going to wear it to the next family Sunday brunch, but it's Texas, it's humid, and it's 90 degrees: the less fabric the better. Invest in cute undergarments, throw on your highest heels, and rock some serious see-through fashion like the audacious fashionista you are.

Lady Boots
[via masikawa]

There's some famous saying that says you aren't really a true Texan until you have your first pair of boots. I think there's some truth to that. I wear mine with almost every outfit I can get away with. That's why I was so excited to see this new trend of ankle high-booties. They're like rugged boots meets penny-loafers and I love them. They're like cowboy boots, but with less commitment.

Denim Vests, They're Coming

I'm gonna go ahead and call it: Denim Vests are the last and final trend of the nineties revival. Get yourself over to a thrift shop (Texas Thrift, is the best in Austin, if you ask me) pronto before they all get bought up and you're stuck going to urban or anthro. Pair it with anything, evening gown, sundress, sequin mini, dress pants, the more inappropriate the better. Nothing says, Austin-chic quite like "Oh this beat up blue jean vest? Yah, I just picked it up from a garage sale off North Loop, not like I care though."

Floral Infinite Remix
[via Tula]

Saying floral patterns are going to be popular during spring time is a little like saying flannel is going to be popular this fall, however, if you're gonna go flower power, you gotta go all the way. This year print on print is all the rage. Seriously, you can pretty much get away with anything. And in Austin, the louder and kitschier the better. Sure, most of the prints look like artifacts from my mom's vintage furniture shop, but you'll stand out at the next music showcase. And let's be honest, that's really all that matters.

So when you're stressing over your closet and what you should be wearing to your next sxsw event, remember, it's Austin, we'll love you regardless & when in doubt, dress like Kurt Cobain. Happy South by South Westing!

Don't forget to visit Sarah over at her blog, Mason Jar Living. You'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. FashionablecollectionsMarch 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM

    I love those low brown cowboy boots. So awesome.

    Collections 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so anxious to visit Austin, I want to go soon! I can't imagine how awesome it is around SXSW time!

    ReplyDelete