20 September 2011

Dig, Dig, Dig



I did a little dumpster diving yesterday. OK, not really literal dumpster diving, but about as close as I'll ever want to get. I went to the Goodwill Blue Hanger Outlet to live-tweet thrifting for my class project, Recycled & Reworn. And, who am I kidding, I really wanted to shop. It's all the way out by the airport, but totally worth it. I had to take a few deep breaths before I plunged my hands into the eerily-similar-to-dumpster bins.


After just a few minutes of pulling at things that caught my eye, I had a pair of red J.Crew corduroy pants, a vintage acid wash denim vest, and a bunch of other random clothes in my basket. After that, I couldn't stop. I spent about an hour and a half elbowing other shoppers, reaching into huge piles of god-knows-what, and keeping my basket from overflowing. It was a real-life treasure hunt and I was totally in my element.


At $1.39 per pound, I ended up spending $14 for three skirts, three blouses, one sweater, two pairs of pants, one denim vest, one romper, three nightgowns, two wineglasses, and one coffee mug.  I plan to give a few things to friends and I'll have to get two of the skirts altered, but I'm definitely going back.

vintage dress from New Bohemia, vintage belt from an estate sale in San Antonio, thrifted Pappagallo flats from Family Thrift Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment