25 September 2011

The Vest "Otra Vez"


I grew up in what I considered a non-traditional Hispanic household. I never even really used to consider myself "Hispanic" because I always just felt American. It wasn't until I moved away from the Rio Grande Valley to Austin that I realized I was a little different from my white friends. Even though I'm not a hardcore Chicana by any means, I do have Hispanic roots that influence who I am.


While I was growing up, my mom made delicious Mexican food like enchiladas and caldo de pollo, but she also made amazing lasagna. My sister had a huge, traditional quinceƱera, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of planning one. We lived about 30 minutes away from the border between Texas and Mexico, so we often crossed to go to the dentist or just to eat lunch. The weirdest thing was that I never learned Spanish while I lived in the Valley. My parents didn't teach us, except for food words and key phrases, so I didn't really learn to speak it until college.


Even though Spanish was rarely used in our house, there were a few things my mom used to say to me all the time, including "otra vez". It just means "again", but she would say it when I would ask for more spending money or for another ride to a friends house. I'm pretty sure if she saw how often I've worn this vest, she would say it to me exactly like she used to.

vintage dress and headscarf from Cream Vintage, vest from Goodwill Blue Hanger, belt from Wish (now closed), and Montego Bay wedges from Payless

No comments:

Post a Comment